Junkyard Salvaging

I often go to Junkyards for many reasons. Just like anyone who is building an older car, you find parts you need at a cheap price.

In 2002, I started to go to the junkyards because I had picked up an 89 240sx fastback, 86 mazda rx7, and an 86 toyota Mr2 and 89 toyota cressida.

I didn't realize how vital this was as it was always put in my head to "only get new parts from the dealer" and I had only owned newer cars (93 honda civic hatchback and 2000 hatchback) at this time.

My RX7's driver side handle didn't work and after taking off the door panel, I saw a clip was broken and a rod was bent. I went to the local junkyard and found an rx7. Took those out.

BUT I ALSO FOUND A GEM!!! This RX7 was a 2+2, so it had rear seats (called cat seats because of no legroom). I got everything for $20.

That was my first experience in both finding cool replaceable parts, but also a way to "reverse engineer" a component.

More recent, I always check out parts for my previa and one of the Holy grail pieces is a Cool box. Never sold in the US, came in some models of the previa in Canada. One day I was checking the junkyards and couldn't believe what I had found... in California...and the van had been ripped apart.

http://reactionprevia.blogspot.com/2015/09/i-got-coolbox.html#!/2015/09/i-got-coolbox.html

https://youtu.be/IIDrXB-hUXs

Mike Wolf from American Pickers (a favorite show of mine) said, "best time to buy is if you seen something you haven't seen" and that has resonated with me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 

Comments